Thursday, February 28, 2008

Are you Catholic? Voting for John McCain?

Yesterday, hard-line conservative Pastor John Hagee, founder of Christians United for Israel, endorsed John McCain. Hagee said that McCain “is a man of principle, [who] does not stand boldly on both sides of any issue.” McCain, who had been courting the endorsement for over a year, said that he was “very honored by Pastor John Hagee’s endorsement.”

Demonstrating how wildly out of the American religious and political mainstream Hagee’s views are, McCain’s acceptance of Hagee’s endorsement was condemned today by conservative William Donohue, president of the Catholic League. Calling Hagee a “bigot,” Donahue said the right-wing pastor has waged “an unrelenting war against the Catholic Church” by “calling it ‘The Great Whore,’ an ‘apostate church,’ the ‘anti-Christ,’ and a ‘false cult system.’”
I'm not Catholic but those I love most, my wife and three children, are.

I was 'born' a Protestant but got the Hell out when I became old enough to know I didn't want to be.

Catholics don't know the half of it. The Pope is the 'anti-Christ'. The Catholic Church is, 'The Great Whore'. That type of hate-mongering rhetoric is very common among redneck Protestants. And that's millions of them.

My wife has cancelled out my vote for President for the last 16 years. She's a diehard one issue voter; abortion.

I just showed her this story on how John McCain has 'been courting [Hagee's] endorsement for over a year' and how he said yesterday how 'very honored' he was to have his support.

Guess what? I won't be having my vote cancelled out this year. She's finally seen the light; the rest of the Catholics in this country need to do the same.

What a day! I did my part for the country.