Monday, March 29, 2010

Dear Mr. (Barack) President,

Today is my 57th birthday. I've been a big fan. Could you ask Bank of America to write-off half of my mortgage?

Now, I'm not 'underwater' on my mortgage. I've been here about 12 1/2 years and have never borrowed off the principal. I have some other debt - I always felt if something happened, I'd at least keep the house - but fortunately I'm doing okay. I heard about your mortgage-modification program.

I do believe health care is a right. I'm afraid what you and Democrats passed last week didn't go far enough. Yeah I know, the CBO says it will save money. We'll see.

But mortgages? Damn, maybe I should have borrowed off my house! I agree people out of work need help with their mortgages, Mr. President. But if someone owes $300,000 on a $200,000 home, who is picking up the $100,000? I don't mind letting the person pay the $300,000 over 40 years instead of 30, but if we taxpayers are picking up that other $100,000, I want half off my mortgage.

It's my birthday...I've been a big fan...