Monday, November 20, 2006

Sorry Charlie

"Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.) has long advocated returning to the draft, but his efforts drew little attention during the 12 years that House Democrats were in the minority. Starting in January, however, he will chair the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee. Yesterday he said "you bet your life" he will renew his drive for a draft".
Charlie Rangel, a decorated Korean War veteran, and one of my favorite congressmen, is wrong on this one. I know he's trying to get the warmongers to put up some sacrifice; it would be nice if we could have a draft that only drafts the sons of all those who are the Iraq war's biggest cheerleaders. But, it's not worth the gamble to me...I don't want my sons drafted.

Let's have a vote on whether we should stay another six months in Iraq and those who vote 'yes' can enter themselves and their children's names into a draft lottery. Since I'm sure the vote would end up being something like, 98% to 2%, 'no', we wouldn't have to worry about going through with the draft anyway.

We could call it the put up or shut up election.